[Wien] Guidance require for structure generation

Pascal BOULET pascal.boulet at univ-amu.fr
Fri Jul 4 12:13:24 CEST 2014

Hello Naseem,

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here.

The point is NOT that people don't want to help you on that topic; the point is that they just CANNOT do it.

The starting point of doing electronic structure calculation is the knowledge of ALL the crystallographic data on the system. That means: Bravais lattice, symmetry group AND ALL the atomic coordinates.

Bravais lattice and symmetry group are not sufficient. You have to find ALL the atomic coordinates. And the Bilbao Crystallographic server cannot help you for this.

You have to search  into crystallographic journals for your specific compound. If your compound is not available (maybe it is new) then you have to prepare it experimentally, run X-ray experiments and extracts atomic coordinates from the diffractograms (I guess from Rietvelt refinement).

Best regards

Naseem Hassan <raheskoon at gmail.com> wrote:Thank You All.

I benefited from all of you on mailing list. You are absolutely right I should learn instead of spoon feeding. I can understand fully that experts are already handling the burden of below average questions.

Inspite of all your recommendation I wish that someone should suggest a road map of topics that leads to solution of making new structure in WIEN2k. I see many emails on mailing list that suggest the similar kind of problem of making structure for a specific space group. I really wanted to learn this but always lost in multiple topics. Many of seniors to whom I know personally know can not solve this problem. Just suggesting, that it will beneficial for newcomers if someone can prepare a tutorial on this issue. We sometimes do not work on compounds just because we cannot make structure file in wien2k.

Best Regards
Naseem