[Wien] Relaxation of already known structure

Parker, David S. parkerds at ornl.gov
Mon Jul 21 19:42:35 UTC 2014

Jihoon, it depends on the sensitivity of the calculations. I generally always use the experimental lattice constants, and then relax the internal coordinates if forces are significant - greater than 5 or so mRyd/bohr (the units WIEN uses). But this takes a lot longer than a simple scf run and often has little, if any effect on the results.  For a first pass at a calculation, unless the forces are huge, I don't do a relaxation.  If the result is interesting enough that a publication may result, then I do a relaxation. Best, David Parker