[Wien] How to subtract a particular orbital character from a valence electronic density?

Martin Gmitra martin.gmitra at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 14:43:33 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Thanks for your replays. The system we study is a
semiconductor/ferromagnet heterostructure (slab) with spin-orbit and
spin-polarization included. We think that separation of d and s
orbital contribution to the electronic (density of) states around
Fermi level would help us to understand difference in FMR and lateral
transport experiments. The experiments are differently sensitive to
the two-fold and four-fold symmetry of the system as the number of the
ferromagnet layers grows. We think that the experiments are
differently sensitive to the d and s electrons.

The slab contains many electrons therefore wannierization might be
rather difficult task (thanks to Ellias). The case.sigma subtraction
simply removes symmetric say d orbitals while the quantity of interest
Integral[rho(x,y,z) - rho(y,x,z)]dxdy remains untouched (thanks for
hints to prof. Blaha). The s*d density separation is in our case
crucial, therefore I guess, we can not play with the LM components
(thanks for suggestion to prof. Marks). The other suggestion going
through the lapw2/qtl and patching it to the filvec is not clear for
me. I think that a possible way would be to do an LM decomposition of
the (selected) partial charges and write them to case.clmval. I see in
the code that similar information is stored in help files, or?

Best,
Martin
Uni Regensburg