[Wien] Choice of magnetization axis in the case with spin-orbit coupling

Rocquefelte Xavier.Rocquefelte at cnrs-imn.fr
Tue Jul 29 15:38:32 UTC 2014

You must try different directions in order to find the magnetization
easy axis.
Such a direction is perhaps experimentally know in your case. Thus you
can check by considering few crystallographic directions.

Should I always use positive values for (h k l)?
Or should I choose (0 0 1) when I prepare the spin moment to be up, that
is, during the stage of "instgen_lapw -ask"

The answer is no. The spin sign (up/down) has no relationship with the
direction of the magnetic moment.
You are just imposing a given direction in real-space for the magnetic
moments when you specify the (h k l) direction.

Cheers

Xavier