[Wien] Core and valence electron

Uday puday at iitk.ac.in
Wed Jun 11 16:51:34 CEST 2014

Dear Prof. Blaha and Wien2k user,
I have been trying to calculate DOS of a Eu based mixed valence system
using GGA+U approximation. I have used U = 8eV, as a standard value for an
Eu ion.
Experimentally the compound is known as a mixed valence system with
valence of Eu = 2.5 (in between 2+ and 3+) but the DOS gives us a fully
occupied 4f state 2 eV below the Fermi level, just like a localized 4f
state of a Eu2+ ion. Where as, In a mixed valence state, the 4f state
should lie at the Fermi level.  Do I need to change something in the input
file to get the desired result? Like changing the core and valence
configuration of Eu in lstart? I do this by change the encut of lstart,
however ,it alwalys say the charge
leak, so is there anyone can help me?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,