[Wien] Electronic polarization with mBJ

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jun 23 11:56:18 CEST 2014

Difficult to answer, it may even depend on the specific case.

We know that LDA/GGA overestimates "covalency" and does not "localize"
an ionic compound sufficiently.

mBJ opens band gaps and "localizes the states much more, but as it is
exchange-only (+LDA correlation) with an emphasis on band-gaps, it may
overshoot easily.

So I guess it is a nice topic to check whether mBJ would improve or
overestimate polarization in semiconductors/insulators.