[Wien] Parallelization on one computer with 8 cpus

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Mar 17 17:05:20 CET 2014

Please read the UG more carefully.
I think parallelization is explained pretty well.
In particular you have to understand the difference between k-parallel
and fine-grane mpi-parallel mode.

The syntax for lapw1/2 parallelization is:

speed:hostname[:cores for mpi] [other_hostnames_for_mpi]

So the first number is a relative speed number. Useful if you want to
combine a fast and a slow computer in k-parallel mode. For you: always 1

second ist hostname, in your case it can be "localhost"

:8  would mean 8 fold mpi-parallel. It requires that you have installed
properly the mpi-version (this is a bit more difficult) AND that you
have a bigger case which runs reasonable in mpi-mode. If you need 74
k-points, most likely this is NOT the case.

I'd set OMP_NUM_THREAD=2 and then use:

granularity:1
1:localhost
1:localhost
1:localhost
1:localhost
residue: localhost
#  only if you have mpi installed !!
lapw0: localhost:8
dstart: localhost:8

This will start 4 jobs with 18k and a residue job with 2 k.
Each will use 2 cores because of OMP_NUM_THREADS when wien2k is
installed properly.