[Wien] parallel running through w2web

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Mar 19 09:00:12 CET 2014

Yes, it is possible to configure w2web with an "execution type" which
you would have to program so that it communicates properly with your
queuing system of your supercomputer.
Some guidelines are explained in the UG and some rough templates are
provided.

However: I would NOT do this job.

w2web is meant as a "beginners tool", in particular for setting up a
calculation and for calculating some properties (DOS, bands, spectra),
which otherwise would require a couple of proper steps, which are
difficult for a novice user.

The scf calculation, however is done by ONE very simple command
(run_lapw or runsp_lapw) and can and probably should be done "by hand".

On the faq page of www.wien2k.at there are some templates how one can
setup a job for some queuing systems. Basically all those queuing
systems are VERY similar, but may need some special adaptations
according to the specific computer installation (setting of system
variables, ...).

The basic idea is that this script will create a .machines file on the
fly, but of course you have to specify how many cores you want to use
and how they should be divided into k-parallel and mpi-parallel modes.

Please read for this the parallelization section in the UG.

Then try to use one of the scripts at the faq page as template.