[Wien] Force on frozen atoms in a MSR1a

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Tue May 13 16:47:44 CEST 2014

I assume by "frozen atoms" you mean. ones where you forced via
case.inM there to be no movement. This make no sense in MSR1a.

No sense.

Contrary to what people think, it does NOT improve the convergence to
fix the positions of certain atoms, and I consider it to be
inappropriate physics. The reason is that the convergence of MSR1a
depends upon the number of clusters of eigenvalues the combined
density-atoms problem, not on the number of atoms. Indeed, this is
also true of PORT and other methods such as conjugant gradients. Alas,
the unpublished literature in DFT (and other fields) gets this wrong.

N.B., if instead by "frozen atoms" you mean ones which have via
symmetry no forces, this is different and indicates that there is
something wrong with your structure.