[Wien] Unknown magnetic ground state

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Wed Nov 5 17:16:36 CET 2014

The general answer is the in KS there is no reason why one cannot have more
than one local minimum, Hence depending upon the starting point, you may
find a different minimum in both positions, magnetic state etc. The
rigorous way is to try different initial states, in some cases use
runfsm_lapw for some cycles first including optimization and see.

In some cases I have seen magnetic states switch during optimization to the
global minimum, but nothing in KS or the mixer dictates that this will
always happen.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University