[Wien] Help needed in DFTD3 of layered structure

tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at tran at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Oct 27 11:28:14 CET 2014

Hi,

We have looked at this problem and it seems that there is a bug in the
DFTD3 package. The forces are wrong for the Becke-Johnson (bj) damping
function when they are calculated analytically. Unfortunately, this is
just what corresponds to the default choice in case.indftd3.

We will mention this problem to the authors of the DFTD3 package, but
at the moment there are several alternatives to get correct forces:

1) choose "yes" for "num" (last line of case.indftd3) such that the
forces are calculated numerically. Note that the numerical calculation
of forces for the 3-body-term abc may take some time. If this is really a
problem, then switch off the 3-body term (choose "no" for "abc").

2) choose the "zero" (instead of bj) damping function (1st line of
case.indftd3).

Thanks for having pointed out the problem.

F. Tran