[Wien] Force optimization of a spinel compound

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Mon Sep 8 19:45:16 CEST 2014

This is not a simple question to answer. In both DFT and XRD the symmetry
of the structure is an input parameter, and in both cases it is sometimes
wrong. The most obvious question to ask is whether you used the same Space
Group for your refinement in Wien2k that was used in the XRD refinement. I
have a suspicion that you did not, as the presence of (x,x,x) positions
implies a Space Group constraint and if you are getting (x,y,z) then you
probably have a different symmetry in Wien2k.

Check first that the symmetry is completely the same.

If they are the same, the question then would be why one gets (x,x,x) in
the XRD refinement? It could be disorder or something else, but without
more information it is hard to guess.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University