[Wien] NMR switch for metals

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Sep 26 07:53:00 UTC 2014

Dear wien2k users,

The calculation of Knight shifts in metals is quite difficult, as it has
not only the orbital contribution, but also mainly a spin contribution.
In addition, the convergence with respect to k-mesh of the different
contributions is very difficult.
We (in particular Robert Laskowski) is working on this. We have not yet
come up with a final answer, but I'm confident that we will have in near
future a working version, which can treat NMR in metals with larger, but
still reasonable effort.

What is in the distributed code and suggested in previous mails (-metal
and the suggestion with TEMP) is according to our latest developments
already a bit outdated and we think we have a better version, but this
is still under development.

In any case, as a hint for checking: it turned out that calculations of
the orbital susceptibility (case.xim) is the most difficult term and if
this gives a diverging result, the computed shift is also very wrong.

So in conclusion: In the present version of the nmr code, be careful
with NMR in metals ! There is no publication out yet on this topic. Also
note, that Mauri et al never ever published a second paper with NMR on
metals. We get different (but already now better) results then in this
paper, but it is too early for final conclusions.

Peter Blaha