[Wien] EFG orientation in crystal structure

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Sep 26 09:14:58 UTC 2014

The local coordinate system is probably most easily to understand by
checking     case.outputs

It lists for each atom the pointgroup, and the requirements in which
direction the z (and y) axis should point and constructs automatically
this loc.rot (and puts it into case.struct).

If you have several EQUIVALENT atoms, all results (EFG, QTLs) are for
the FIRST one, listed in case.struct,

case.output2 also lists symmetry operations (matrices) which transform
these equivalent atoms into each other, but I don't think that this
concerns you at all.

If your symmetry is low enough, it could be that the EFG points in some
"arbitrary" direction. Information about this is found in case.scf.