[Wien] Wien Digest, Vol 113, Issue 6 - 20. Phonon Calculation

Madesis Ioannis(John) imadesis at physics.uoc.gr
Wed Apr 22 15:28:41 CEST 2015

On 2015-04-22 15:14, wien-request at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at wrote:

> Message: 20
> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:12:14 +0300
> From: "Madesis Ioannis(John)" <imadesis at physics.uoc.gr>
> To: wien at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
> Subject: [Wien] Phonon calculation
>
> Hello
>
> I am running some calculations using the phonopy software, and I had
> this idea-question. For example, I run the YBCO6.5, with 25 different
> displacements, w?th the corresponding 25 *.struct files. My question
> would be the following:
> Assuming I have just completed the run for the first displacement. Is
> there a way to transfer my converged data to the NEXT structure (plane
> waves+ orbitals), in order to minimize the number of iterations for the
> SCFs to come? I understand that it might be risky, however it would
> (probably) lead to a much faster convergence for the rest of the
> structures.
>
> Message: 21
> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 22:20:54 +0200
> From: Peter Blaha <pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at>
> Subject: Re: [Wien] Phonon calculation
>
> Yes, something like this can be done and saves some time. But you need
> to be sure that
> the symmetry for all these cases are the same.
>
> If you make + and - displacments, you can be sure that these two
> structures
> have the same symmetry.
>
> The same is true for all structures with P1 symmetry, but this needs
> manual inspection.
>
> What you can copy are the scf-densites, i.e.
>
> cp case_1/case_1.clmsum  case_2/case_2.clmsum

This is why I specified that I work with phonopy. Phonopy, (if you don't
already know) requires all generated structures to be of P symmetry. To
be honest, this is not always possible since I cannot override Wien2K
algorith, which detects possible symmetries (initialization runs in
batch mode, inside a home-made script). For phonopy, all atoms must be
inequivalent, for proper results. Since I run FIRST all the
initializations, and keep a log file, I am in position to tell if the
spacegroup of all structures is P1, which again, is a primary target for
a good phonopy calculation.

So, your suggestion to decrease the duration of the convergence for the
n+1 cases is to

cp case_n/case_n.clmsum  case_n+1/case_n+1.clmsum for 1<n<=Number of
displacements

after the initialization of the cases and the run of case_1.
Are there any other files that could be transfered, therefor, enhance
this idea even more?

--
Ioannis Madesis (Μαδέσης Ιωάννης)
PhD Student