[Wien] Position of Atoms in AFM calculation.

delamora delamora at unam.mx
Thu Apr 30 17:01:34 CEST 2015

Dear Murugan,

        The Cr example has BCC symmetry, your compound is FCC.

        You have to be more explicit in your letter.

        I looked at the structure;

                DyPd make a ZnS structure, that is, it is diamond-like. Bi is non-magnetic.

        Dy will certainly have a magnetic moment, but Pd?

        Dy makes a FCC structure with interconnected tetrahedra, the 111 planes are triangular, this makes the antiferromagnetic order what is called "geometical frustration"

    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometrical_frustration

so you have a difficult but interesting problem that cannot be treated easily with the WIEN2k code because it is a non-collinear magnetic system.

On the other hand you make some assumptions;

You choose a direction and put the alternative planes in alternating spin directions.

You can choose 100 or 111. 100 is simpler to handle;

With the "supercell" program you take the unit cell and just save as P. After, the Dy at 0yz you set it as up, and the one at 0.5yz as dn.

I hope that this does not create a frustration to you...

                Pablo