[Wien] Regarding symmetry change

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Aug 28 00:15:59 CEST 2015

> I am solving monoclinic structure having space space group P21/m (no.
> 11). My unique axis is b. But there are 3 space groups of type P21/m
> at 11 number. Whatever I select out of these space group it shows
> unique axis c. I don’t understand why are these 3 same sgroups at the
> same position ? Do they represent 3 different unique axes ?

The intention was probably to allow selection of 1 of the 3 different
unique axis representations to use for the input. However, as you have
found and as Prof. Blaha described in a similar discussion [
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg08149.html
], only the unique axis c was implemented.  So currently, the 3 same
space group 11 should be directed to use the unique axis c setting, so
it should not matter which one you select as long as you input the
parameters into StructGen in the unique axis c (P1121/m) setting. You
can use SETSTRU [ http://www.cryst.ehu.es/cryst/setstru.html ], VESTA [
http://jp-minerals.org/vesta/en/download.html ], or your own preferred
program to convert from the unique axis b (P121/m1) to c setting.

> Second thing is that in solving bandstructure in the klist.band file
> it is showing simple cubic instead of monoclinic . Whatever structure
> I solve it shows simple cubic tempelate in klist.band while solving
> bandstructure. So please help me if somebody knows or have faced this
> kind of problem. I’ll be really grateful for it

In w2web, did you do the following?

1) Click Bandstructure in the left menu
2) Click the "Generate k-mesh using XCrysden" button, then save your
k-path selection (with filename: xcrysden.klist)
3) Select "from xcrysden" in the drop down list in the next step and
click the "create case.klist_band" button (or in a terminal: cp
xcrysden.klist case.klist_band)