[Wien] Issue with different convergence results and QTL-B warnings

Michał Wojciechowski 20000339 at stud.uz.zgora.pl
Thu Dec 10 20:54:07 CET 2015

- The execution is always the same. I used the -in1new switch on a copy of the case directory to determine the correct energy parameters. For the proper calculations I manually changed the energy parameters in case.in1c
- All the in-files are the same (except for the carbon part). So are the struct files
- I did not perform relaxation. I'm trying to stick to the original structure of the molecule.
- I use RKM=2.0 because the calculations are 3 times faster than for RKM=3.0 and it turns out that there is no significant difference between results (energy, J, MMI, gaps, ...) for RKM=2.0 and 3.0. Also changing RMT or k-sampling is unimportant (although for smaller RMT magnetic moments for Cr decrease about 0.2 Bohr magnetons). However this is based on my previous experience with PBE functional for these structures and it might not be true for B3LYP. The reason I use these RMT-s is because I wanted them to be the same as in Acta Phys. Pol. A. 127, 407 (2015) and Phys. Rev. B 73, 184431 (2006).
- As for the magnetic moments they are almost constant and definitely hold their orientation. The same goes for partial charges - in both approaches they are the same.
- Offtop: the relation J = (E_FM - E_AFM)/36 for Cr8 is obtained from a general Ising-like magnetic Hamiltonian:
H=sum(J*S_{i}*S_{i+1})
where S are spins of Cr ions, S=+/- 3/2. For 8 Cr this gives 8 interactions between neighboring ions and for AFM configuration
H=J * 8 * - 3/2 * 3/2=-18J=E_AFM
and for FM configuration
H=J * 8 * 3/2 *3/2=18J=E_FM
If we take the difference we get