[Wien] difference between Wien2k tar file and wien2k executable file

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sun Dec 27 16:52:26 CET 2015

Not really.  If the executables are used, the path of the compilers,
which are usually set by you in .bashrc, for Linux environment should
not be needed.  Therefore, they are not detected.  Regarding the
libraries, it depends on whether the executables were built by the
compiler statically or dynamically.  I don't remember, but I believe the
package with the executables was built statically.  If the executables
were built statically, the libraries do not have to be detected as they
are built directly into the executables [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_build ].  If the executables were
built dynamically, the Linux environment usually detects the Linux
libraries automatically as long as the packages for the libraries are
installed, but the path for the Fortran libraries usually has to be set
manually (in .bashrc).  If the libraries are not installed or it cannot
find the libraries in the PATH, you can get errors like "error while
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg11434.html
].

Of note, the Intel link advisor [
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-link-line-advisor ]
can generate a set of compiler settings for a static or dynamic build by
selecting the corresponding item in the drop-down list for "Select
dynamic or static linking".