[Wien] optimization procedure - questions

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Feb 5 21:21:08 CET 2015

Some additional comments from my side:

It is probably useless to run this first without spin-polarization.

GGA+U for Mn is probably a "must".

As mentioned by L.Marks, TEMPS with 2-4 mRy will always help.

Then start out system 1 (since it is the easier one) and checkout how it
behaves.
runsp -fc 2  (-p -it -noHinv)  and checkout how big are the forces in
the unrelaxed case. This should give you a hint how large relaxations
are to be expected.
save_lapw unrelaxed
runsp -min (..)      this uses MSR1a, which is my favorite method
depsite some convergence problems, often it is just a "stopping" problem.

During this run:

grep :ENE case.scf
grep :FR  case.scf

The energy should go down (sometimes with a few oszillations), but if it
does not decrease for 20-50 steps, you are probably already close to the
minimum and need to stop by hand .
:FR should also decrease and eventually trigger a switch to MSR1 and
final convergence. However, this does not work always for two reasons:
a) increase the convergence parameter in case.inM from 2.0 to 5.0
b) sometimes :DIS is too large and thus the switcheing is not triggered).

If :ENE does not decrease anymore and :FR is fairly small and
:APOSxxx (xxx is Mn and the neighboring GaAs atoms) is not changing (but
oszillating)
type:  touch .minstop

and observe after convergence how big the final forces are.

If not satisfied,   save_lapw partial_relaxed   and another runsp -min