[Wien] reduce memory usage

Pavel Ondracka pavel.ondracka at email.cz
Mon Feb 9 11:33:08 CET 2015

On Mon, 2015-02-09 at 01:36 -0800, Yundi Quan wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a way of reducing the memory usage? I have a case with 72
> atom per unit cell. And my cluster has 8 GB member per node and each
> node has 8 cores. I submitted the job and got the error message saying
> that insufficient virtual memory. Can someone give me any suggestions?

Hi,

I don't know about any way to reduce the total memory required, you can
however get around it by smarter parallelisation, e.g. if you use more
nodes with mpi the memory requirement per process (and hence per core
and node) decreases, so just try to tweak you .machines file until the
calculation fits.

Also if you have hyperthreading on and you can disable it, do it.

Best regards
Pavel