[Wien] nickel nanoparticles DOS calculation

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Thu Jan 22 18:02:40 CET 2015

As far as I know, it is not possible to calculate a single Ni atom
having no crystal structure (no lattice parameters/spacegroup) with
WIEN2k, because WIEN2k is a 'periodic' structure code. I think you must
have a lattice parameter to describe the distance between atoms (the
periodicity of the atoms in the lattice).  I think the best you could do
would be to select one of the general spacegroups (like P) and input a
single inequivalent position of Ni so that you only have one atom in the
crystal structure, but you would also need lattice parameters to set the
3d periodicity of the atom (maybe large ones to isolate the atom).  Or
maybe you need to put it in a supercell separated by a vacuum.  Perhaps,
someone else has experience with that and will give comment.