[Wien] parallelisation problem in optic

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Jan 30 11:23:51 CET 2015

You have first to understand how parallelization works in wien2k:

The file   .machines   (which should be generated automatically by a
script which you submit to the queuing system) is used by the "lapw1"
step to get the parallelization. At the same time, lapw1 produces a
.processes file, which is used in other steps (like lapw2, optic,...)

When you want to regenerate this .processes file for a different set of
processors, you can use:

x lapw1 -p -d

which will create .processes from the new .machines file.

In your case, note, however, that for the optic step you need the same
number of k-parallel jobs, so could use a .machines of
1:node1

The command to "regenerate" a new parallelization
1:node1
1:node1
1:node1
1:node1

and you would use only ONE of your nodes.