[Wien] How to set the occupation number in Wien2k?

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Jul 16 11:36:33 CEST 2015

In an GGA+U calculation you can manipulate case.dmatup/dn and specify
occupations as you like. (Note, this will most likely also involve
off-diagonal elements because you need to form "real-spherical
harmonics" out of the complex dmats).

Then run    x orb -up/dn    (producing case.vorbup/dn

runsp -orbc

makes a constraint calculations with fixed orbital potentials. However,
there is no guarantee that this leads then the the desired occupancy !!
All it does is: it will lower the potential of the occupied orbitals and
if this shift is large enough, it may work.

after scf  you can use

x lapwdm -up/dn  to create new case.damt (and check if this has the
desired occupation). Eventually afterwards you continue with

runsp -orb

to see if this configuration remains (meta-)stable or if the dmats
change back to something differently ...

Alternatively, you can treat 4f electrons as "core" with a specific
number of 4f electrons. I think there is some description by P.Novak on
the web for this. (I would not recommend this)