[Wien] Reconstructed Si 100 surface

Michael Sluydts michael.sluydts at ugent.be
Mon Jul 27 11:11:06 CEST 2015

It is recommended to make both your slab surfaces identical where
possible. The p21, p22 and p24 refer to the type of supercell used to
represent the surface. Since you are using a periodic model you are
imposing a strong symmetry on the surface, not all reconstructions can
be made within your unit cell, indeed for your dimer you will need a 2x1
expansion, i.e. two cells next to eachother along the a axis. The
symbols (and possible angles) represent the shape and rotation of the
resulting cell (in this case p=primitive, c=centered).

You can find more info in for instance:
Introduction to Solid State Physics - Kittel - about the description of
cells
and
Density Functional Theory: A Practical Introduction - Sholl and Steckel
- for the basics of how to model surfaces