[Wien] Best RKmax

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Mar 6 20:02:07 CET 2015

A comment:

I'm not familiar with your increase RKmax until the "energy start to
increase again".

 From what I have seen or read, you want to increase RKmax until the
"parameter you are interested in has converged".  That parameter might
be total energy, EEL spectrum intensity, or another parameter.

For example, you might want to refer to Figure 1(b) in [1]. In the
figure, it can be seen that the total energy decreases rapidly as RKmax
increases from about 3.5 to 5.5 (i.e., has not converged). However, it
can be seen that the total energy has converged at about -302.5 Ry for
RKmax above 5.5.  From this, they choose a suitable value of 7 for
RKmax.  I suspect because RKmax of say 6 was too close to the transition
in energy (between non-convergence and convergence) and the slight
increase in accuracy of the energy for RKmax greater than 7 looks like
it was not worth the additional time needed to perform the calculations
(i.e., the shown increase in "time per scf cycle").

[1] R. J. Nicholls and A. J. Scott, Practical approaches to the accurate
modelling of EELS edges using density functional theory, J. Phys.: Conf.
Ser. 126, 012038 (2008). http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/126/1/012038