[Wien] A few (more) elementary -so questions (with onsite -eece)

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Tue May 5 18:47:42 CEST 2015

I definitely am not an expert for -so, therefore I will not shoot down
anything, only a comment:

 From my point of view from magnetism I would ask for some caution with
identifying the direction given in .inorb and .inso with 'the spin
direction'. As Gerhard pointed out earlier in this thread, it's all
about symmetry: The specified direction only sets up the symmetry of the
case to be compatibel with whatever has a rotational invariance with
that (quantization) axis - be that a spin, or orbital moment,
magnetization, a magnetic field, ... The symmetry of the basis has to
allow for a magnetization otherwise it won't appear when you calculate
expectation values. Personally I find Pavel's 'lecture on spin-orbit.ps'
here in the Wien documentation files (I hope it's still there) very
illuminating.

---
Dr. Martin Pieper
Karl-Franzens University