[Wien] Checking the effect of pressure on the bandstructure

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Thu May 7 17:08:49 CEST 2015

Hi Amit
You may calculate the single crystal elastic constants (sub-programs and scripts are available in Wien2k) to find out how the lattice parameters change under pressure.
If you apply pressure along some axis c, the remaining two axes a and b will also change, usually become larger, only in few cases they may shrink also with the pressure.
(Indeed, you can also check for changes in the lattice under shear or combinations of different mechanical stress)
Might be good to have some exprimental data of the material to check if the changes of the lattice under uniaxial pressure is correctly described.

If you have the new lattice parameters you can calculate the spaghetties as usual.

Temperature is bad, it will force occupation of phonons that cause an energy dissipation of the electrons.
This is , as far as I know, not implemented in Wien2k (maybe it is in some Greens function codes that allow for complex potentials with an imaginary part to simmulate the energy dissipation).
It will smear out the spaghettis.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher