[Wien] Error for sphere overlapping

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Fri May 29 07:57:50 CEST 2015

Yes, you can try decreasing the RMT, where it is recommended to use
setrmt (terminal) or "set automatically RMT and continue editing"
(w2web) [
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg07996.html
, http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/faq/rmt.html ].

Or you might want to upgrade from WIEN2k 13.1 to 14.2 in order to use
reduce_rmt_lapw that was released in WIEN2k 14.1.  As it says on the
webpage at http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/updates/ :

*reduce_rmt_lapw*: (should be called when a structure optimization stops
due to overlapping spheres. It will save the current calc. as
case_old_rmt_XX, reduce sphere sizes by a certain amount (3 % or -r XX)
and extrapolate densities on the new radial mesh, so that afterwards you
can easily continue with the minimization)

However, if any of the atomic positions have moved too close to each
other, decreasing the RMT might not work and the atomic positions would
have to be adjusted so that the atoms do not overlap.  Check the failing
struct file with xcrysden and/or "x nn", these programs can help you see
if the atomic positions are too close.

I assume the Li positions are constrained in the calculation as you
mentioned before [
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg12403.html ].
I haven't tried constraining positions during optimization.  So I don't
know, but maybe constraining positions can also lead to such a problem.

Also, your RMT of Li looks like it might be too small.  From what I have
seen in literature, the RMT of Li in LiFePO4 is around 1.97 a.u. [ J.
Phys.: Condens. Matter vol. 22 p. 275501 (2010):
http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0953-8984/22/27/275501 ].