[Wien] RMTs changing on their own?

Laurence Marks laurence.marks at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:47:36 CET 2015

I am not sure exactly what the problem(s) were, but from you case.scf it
was "right" that there were Warnings

a) :FCHECK (bottom of case.scf) was large. This is the sum of all the
forces, and should be small. Particularly for cells without inversion one
can get bad, highly asymmetric densities in which case MSR1a can have
problems.

b) The greed is small. Too small a value can be as bad as too large. I have
struggled with this for years and failed to find a strong ansatz for this,
although I believe the next release of the mixer will be better.

I am not sure what the calculation is, perhaps an oxide surface where you
have made a guess at the initial structure and want to minimize to
something more reasonable. Sometimes a physically unreasonable initial
guess will converge to something reasonable, sometimes not. I strongly
suggest trying to use cells with inversion, they behave much, much better.
I also strongly suggest that you look at the Bond Valence Sums (BVS) and
tweak the initial positions until they are reasonable. (x nn ; grep Bond
*tnn). If, for instance, you have highly underbonded O (e.g. 0.8) it can
take forever and the calculations can be unstable -- convergence is faster
the more physical are the atomic positions.

Good luck.

---
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University