[Wien] “Empty” states are populated during SCF

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Nov 19 19:19:59 CET 2015

Yup, this can happen. A few ideas:

a) Turn off MSR1a for a bit and converge somewhat the density. It can be
dangerous to run MSR1a when :DIS is large (e.g. 2.0). Don't overconverge,
e.g. just bring it down to something like -cc 0.1.

b) Add an f-state in case.in1 high above E_F, e.g. at 1.5 to try and avoid
getting the f states occupied.

A "deep" problem is whether you have a reasonable model for the oxide
surface, or if it is physically unrealistic. A structure which is
unreasonable, for instance would require La2+ for valence neutrality will
never converge to anything reasonable in my experience.

And, as I mentioned before, structures with inversion symmetry in my
experience are much better behaved than those without. While you may have
more atoms because you only have real components of the PW's they can be
smaller calculations than ones without inversion symmetry.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University