[Wien] Calculation spin-orbit coupling with two different approach gives different results

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Nov 23 14:28:43 CET 2015

It is well know that GGA+U calculations can end up in different states
(see previous posts).

If you have used the same parameters, you should use the total energies
of the two calculations and the one with lower energy should be the
better one (but not necessarily the best !)

In any case, I always recommend:

First do a standard GGA calculation (also check forces, if they are small).
Then add SO and do a GGA+SO calculation (if you really have heavy elements?)
x lapwdm -up -so      to generate density matrices

and finally add the "U" and do   GGA+so+U

There is, however, no guarantee that you find the lowest energy ground
state !  Sometimes it is good to start with a smaller U-value than
anticipated.
Sometimes you may do a structure relaxation at the GGA-level and use
this structure,
or a structure relaxation at GGA+U (no SO).

If SO is not a major effect, I'd first do everything without SO.

 From these advices you can see that there is not a unique and save way,
which works in all cases.