[Wien] g factors and NMR shift estimates in semiconductors with spin-orbit couplings

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Thu Nov 26 19:53:19 CET 2015

I don't know if it helps or not, but the orbital_potentials.pdf document
does have some information that describes how Bext is applied to the
interstitial region [
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg12904.html
].

On 11/26/2015 10:35 AM, Joseph Ross wrote:
> Thanks for the clarifications. We were interested to see if we might detect a cross term such as identified by Tripathi et al., J. Phys. C 18 (1985) L93. They state that for PbTe this term may be quite large. However when setting out to do this we didn’t initially realize that the response at least at the band edge involved such extensive currents.
>
> I do have one followup question; for L=0 states I was not aware that the magnetic field option includes the field applied to the entire cell. Just to confirm, does this also include the interstitial electrons?
>
> -Joe Ross
>

>> On Nov 25, 2015, at 12:58 AM, Peter Blaha <pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>>
>> The effect due to a magnetic field via "orb" uses a "double" approximation:
>> i) It applies the field only inside the spheres
>> ii) and it uses a "central field approximation", which is Gauge dependent and valid only in the case of a single atom.
>>
>> This implementation was originally intended for localized 3d (4f) electrons, where it might catch the main effects and both approximations are justified to some extend.
>>
>> The NMR code, which was mentioned by Robert, calculates the perturbation of the wave functions due to an external field and then the resulting current. Then it integrates this using Biot-Savarts law and calculates the magnetic shieldings at the positions of the nuclei.
>>
>> However, we do not calculate the perturbed eigenvalues ...
>>
>> Peter Blaha
>>
>> Am 24.11.2015 um 17:20 schrieb Joseph Ross:
>>> Dear Wien2k Community
>>>
>>> We have been recently working on estimating semiconductor g-factors and
>>> related issues in order to estimate NMR shifts in semiconductors with spin-orbit
>>> coupling. We took GaAs as a test case with SOC, and the band-structure
>>> appears to be similar to what has been reported, with the split-off
>>> hole band at about -0.33 eV. In order to estimate the g-factor in SOC
>>> with the PBE functional (case.inso shown as the following), we applied
>>> magnetic field by inorb and indmc files, for example as follows:
>>>
>>> case.inso
>>> WFFIL
>>> 4  0  0                 llmax,ipr,kpot
>>> -10  1.5                Emin, Emax
>>>    0 0 1                           h,k,l (direction of magnetization)
>>> 2                       number of atoms with RLO
>>> 1 0.30 0.000 CONT             atom-number, E-param for RLO
>>> 2 0.30 0.000 CONT             atom-number, E-param for RLO
>>> 0 0      number of atoms without SO, atomnumbers
>>>
>>> case.inorb
>>> 3  2  0                     nmod, natorb, ipr
>>> PRATT  1.0                    BROYD/PRATT, mixing
>>> 1 3 0 1 2                       iatom nlorb, lorb
>>> 2 3 0 1 2                       iatom nlorb, lorb
>>> 1000                        Bext in T
>>> 0. 0. 1.                    direction of Bext in terms of lattice vectors
>>>
>>> case.indmc
>>> -12.                      Emin cutoff energy
>>> 2                       number of atoms for which density matrix is calculated
>>> 1 3 0 1 2                     iatom nlorb, lorb
>>> 2 3 0 1 2                     iatom nlorb, lorb