[Wien] Bulk vs supercell Plasma frequency

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 29 19:03:27 CET 2015

In principle you are doing thinks now correct.
In reality, however, we use the tetrahedra-method in the integration of
the BZ to calculate a joint-density-of-states. And for a metal !!! here
there is a difference between k-meshes in the small or large cell. (it
is related to the "back-folding" problem and in the supercell there are
less tetrahedra and thus less possibilities to interpolate for the
tetrahedron method than in the small cell).

In any case, you need to consider two things:

a) You have to decide to which accurcy a certain number should be
calculated. Typically, a plasma frequency would be quoted with one or
two digits after the comma (i.e. 5.9 or at most 5.94 eV).

b) Then you have to converge the numbers with respect to k-mesh (but
also Rkmax !!)
Definitely you should use a ratio of 6:1 for the supercell, but
eventually you need to increase the mesh until there are no changes
within the desired accuracy. In your case, 90x15 is almost sufficient,
but not quite if you want two digits accuracy.

c) in a cubic system, of course it is useless to quote two tensor
components and one is sufficient.