[Wien] Energy vs Volume is linear!

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 9 10:49:57 CEST 2015

Hello Marzieh,

I took the freedomn to use your data to test a little fitting procedure
I just wrote. I tried to fit parameters a, b, c of the function
y=a(x-b)**2+c
to your data.

The fit crashed - probably like the one you may have used - when
presented the data and asked to fit the parabola from scratch. The
reason for such a behaviour of a fit procedure frequently is bad user
behaviour: The program is quite understandably unable to guess
reasonable starting values for the fit parameters from such data.

Presented with starting values
a=1.000000e-06,   b=9.500000e+03,  c=-8.857000e+04

the fit finds without complaining a very good fit with
a=5.687893e-07,  b=9.612186e+03,  c=-8.856770e+04

So you should do your DFT volume optimization around a volume of 9612 -
and probably give a little thought to the problem of why you started so
far off the optimum at larger volumes.

Good luck

Martin Pieper

---