[Wien] EFG dependence on magnetic field

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Thu Sep 10 13:33:41 CEST 2015

As Gavin told you, one does not add a magnetic field but a magnetic energy to the up and down parts of the potential.
I just wanted to know whether you thought about the added energy in comparison to the magnetic energy of your system.
For example, in Fe you have a "magnetic energy" in the ordre of 1 Ry and I guess the energy added by a field of 8 T will not change the result of a calculation.

Note that the symmetry reduction by the magnetic field is not accounted for when you do not use an SO calculation.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University