[Wien] Can we perform layered AFM calculations with Wien2k?

pieper pieper at ifp.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 29 15:57:40 CEST 2015

Hello Krishnaveni Parthasarathy

Yes you can - though admittedly I did not look up your reference, and I
might misinterprete your idea of 'layered AFM'. And I suppose you
consider collinear magnetic moments. If that is not the case you might
look into the (unsupported) WienNCM.

In general, study the UG, especially the chapters on AFM calculations.

You can think of any collinear AFM as ferromagnetic layers stacked along
one particular crystalographic direction, the direction to the nearest
antiparallel neighbor. For calculations with Wien2k you need a .strcut
with a unit cell that has at least two magnetic atoms along that
direction (perhaps from supercell if the crystalografic primitve cell is
not large enough).

Since you want them to be magnetically inequivalent the two have to be
on inequievalent crystalografic sites. If they are on crystalografic
equivalent positions you have to split the position and number the atoms
to tell Wien2k that they are not same (perhaps Mn1 and Mn2). Note that
this results in a different symmetry of your structure.

If you want to compare total energies for different magnetic structures
be careful to calculate all of them on the same crystalographic unit
cell, changing only in the initialization which magnetic atom belongs to
the group pointing 'up' and which one to the group pointing 'down'. If
you have, for example, constructed a supercell with four inequivalent
Mn-sites Mn1 .. Mn4, you can calculate AFM structures corresponding to
Mn1, Mn2 up and Mn3, Mn4 down, or Mn1,3 up and Mn2,4 down, or ... This
will correspond to ferromagnetic layers of Mn1, Mn2 stacked with
antiparallel ferromagnetic layers Mn3,4, or ferromagnetic layers of
Mn1,3 ... Not all of these arrangements are necessarily different. If
the direction Mn1 - Mn2 is symmetry related to the one Mn1-Mn3 in the
underlying crystalografic lattice, then there is no need to calculate
with the stacking in these two equivalent directions. And obviously, for
a complicated AF wave vector (the direction of the stacking), you will
need large supercells so think, before you start.

Good luck,

Martin Pieper

---
Dr. Martin Pieper