[Wien] Seebeck coefficient_Boltztrap

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Wed Apr 6 13:14:19 CEST 2016

Hallo Hannan,
there seems to be a big confusion about the terms Fermi energy and chemical potential
(unfortunately sometimes this happens already in text books)

What quantity do you call "Fermi energy", "chemical potential", or most undefined "Femi level" ?

Fermi energy is by definition the energy of the highest occupied state at T=0, in semi-conductors this is the top of the valence band.
Chemical potential is something different, for the here used context (otherwise see textbooks) it defines the middle of the Fermi-Dirac distribution,
For undoped, intrinsic semiconductors, the position of the chemical potential will be somewhere in the band gap but its exact energy position depends on the temperature
(even though it is haphazardly set very often into the middle of the band gap of semiconductors).

If you take the Fermi energy from the scf2 file as Zero of the chemical potential (at what temperature ?) you make a mistake if you calculate for a semiconductor
(most often this is fine for metals, where it is rather independent on temperature).

I suggest to read the book "Electrons and Phonons" by Ziman
or have a look into one of my recent reviews in physica status solidi (a) 213 (2016), Pages: 716–731 and the references there  (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pssa.201532595/abstract)

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher