[Wien] Spin-polarization VS no spin-polarization in GaN

Marcelo Barbosa marcelo.b.barbosa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 23:03:13 CEST 2016

Thank you for both your emails.

Answering to the first one, yes, I forgot to write about the magnetic moments but they are zero in both calculations.

Answering to the second one, the forces were a little bit different (less than 1.0 mRy in difference) but I wasn’t expecting such a big difference in the EFG due to it, so I didn’t think that it was important to send them.
My mistake, I was wrong.
They were all in fact below 2 mRy, so the minimization stopped, but it stopped in different positions for each method.

I did a another minimization with both methods until the forces were all below 0.10 mRy (tried first with 1.0 mRy but it was not enough) and in this situation the results are much more similar:

:POS001 = 0.66667 0.33333 -0.00012 (no sp)
:POS001 = 0.66667 0.33333 -0.00022 (sp)

:POS002 = 0.66667 0.33333 0.37638 (no sp)
:POS002 = 0.66667 0.33333 0.37627 (sp)

:EFG001 = 0.41661 (no sp)
:EFG001 = 0.41404 (sp)

:EFG002 = 0.10461 (no sp)
:EFG002 = 0.10472 (sp)

I was doing these tests to see if I should use spin-polarization or not in calculations of GaN, specially for the calculation of the EFGs.
That’s why I was worried about the different EFGs that I was obtaining.
However, since they give the “same" results after all, am I right to assume that for this material I don’t need to consider spin-polarization?

Thank you both very much for your help,
Marcelo