[Wien] initso and symmetso (NO inversion symmetry)/ too high symmetry

Fecher, Gerhard fecher at uni-mainz.de
Thu Dec 1 08:06:36 CET 2016

The symmetry of P 2_1 3 (198) is (for example for the FeSi (cP8) structure) reduced to the coloured groups as follows (' =  (time inv.))
0 0 1 ==> P 2_1' 2_1' 2_1 (19.27)   (4 Sym. Ops.)
1 1 1 ==> R 3 (146.10)  (3 Sym Ops.)
These are just the numbers of symmetry operations you find with symmetso
therfore, I don't think that there is any bug.

you should find in case.outsymso something like

  symmetry operation           3
   1   0   0
   0   1   0
   0   0   1
  operation type A preserve M direction

  symmetry operation           4
   0  -1   0
   0   0  -1
   1   0   0
  operation type C does not preserve M direction

  symmetry operation          11
  -1   0   0
   0   1   0
   0   0  -1
  operation type B *(time inv.) preserve M direction

that tells you which operation is allowed and which not, and thus which one is kept and which not.
Overall it seems that the program is more clever than the manual ;-)

***** Hmm, it would be interesting if the correct coloured group (number) is written into the structure file after initso_lapw *****

PS.: (time inv.) is sometimes called the "spin reversal operator" that hits better what it is doing.

Ciao
Gerhard

Dr. Gerhard H. Fecher
Johannes Gutenberg - University