[Wien] incorrect band splitting when RLO added for a system with spatial inversion

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 14 09:20:04 CET 2016

This is related to the fact, that the RLOs are implemented without
symmetry constrains (and relativistic spherical harmonics basis) and for
numerical reasons this leads to these small splittings. This is also
noted when calculating EFGs, that one must not use RLOs.

Why are you using RLOs and the Bi 5p states as valence anyway ? States
at -8 Ry should usually be kept in the core, unless one has very good
reasons not to do so (high pressure calculations). Treating them as
core, they get the full relativistic treatment (have proper j-based
radial wave functions) and this description is much better than a
"band-treatment" with a scalar-relativistic basis (l-based), where the
band-width is usually much smaller that spin-orbit effects.

The Bi spheres should be sufficiently large and eventual small core
leakage can be treated using the automatic way with .lcore.

The change in energy between lstart and lapw1 is due to a shift in
potential. In lstart we have an energy-zero = 0 at infinity, in lapw we
have another energy zero.