[Wien] w2w compilation problem during siteconfig

Elias Assmann elias.assmann at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 16:06:14 CET 2016

On 12/21/2016 03:01 PM, Fecher, Gerhard wrote:
> Here it is,

Thank you.

> Don't ask me why the output is partially in Austrian ;-)

Yeah, up to the inwards-looking guillemets.  “Macht nichts” is endearing.

> make --version gives:
> GNU Make 3.82
> Built for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> Copyright (C) 2010  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Well, it is old, but it is GNU make and not that old -- I doubt that is
an issue.

> Betrachte Target-Datei »lib/util_w2w.o«.
>  Die Datei »lib/util_w2w.o« existiert nicht.
>  Suche nach einer impliziten Regel für »lib/util_w2w.o«.
>  Versuche Muster-Regel mit Ersetzung »util_w2w«.
>  Versuche implizite Voraussetzung »util_w2w.[fF]«.

There seems to be a difference here:

Considering target file 'lib/util_w2w.o'.
 File 'lib/util_w2w.o' does not exist.
 Looking for an implicit rule for 'lib/util_w2w.o'.
 Trying pattern rule with stem 'util_w2w'.
 Trying implicit prerequisite 'util_w2w.F'.

You can see that my make gives me straight '' quotes even though I have
a UTF-8 locale set.  No, that's not it …

It looks like your make does not recognize the [fF] glob.  Why this
should be, I do not understand.  I found a machine (VSC-3) that is also
running GNU make 3.82, and it does not seem to have this problem.

If you want to build wien2wannier, or just get rid of the compilation
errors, or want to help me fix this problem, you could try splitting the
rule

> $(O_DIR)/%.o: %.[fF] Makefile
>         @test -d $(O_DIR) || mkdir $(O_DIR)
>         $(FC) $(FFLAGS) -c $< -o$@ $(MODOPT) $(O_DIR)

into one duplicate for %.f and one %.F:

$(O_DIR)/%.o: %.f Makefile
        @test -d $(O_DIR) || mkdir $(O_DIR)
        $(FC) $(FFLAGS) -c $< -o$@ $(MODOPT) $(O_DIR)

$(O_DIR)/%.o: %.F Makefile
        @test -d $(O_DIR) || mkdir $(O_DIR)
        $(FC) $(FFLAGS) -c $< -o$@ $(MODOPT) $(O_DIR)

	Elias

--
Elias Assmann
Institute of Theoretical and Computational Physics