[Wien] incorrect band splitting when RLO added for a system with spatial inversion

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Dec 22 07:36:58 CET 2016

Emax seems converged. This is no issue.

Yes, from my point of view the "best" calculation should be to put 5p in
core (+ .locre if necessary) and have the 6p RLO. It seems it has a
rather large effect.

To check my results I would:

a) Calculate the qtl's with p-1/2 p3/2 splitting (x qtl -so) and check
that within these bands there is significant character of p1/2 or p3/2.
(Character-plot with band structure), which varies from Gamma-X
explaining the importance of the p1/2 RLO.

b) Do a calculation without symmetry (P1) and calculate the bands in
different "equivalent" directions of the BZ. I'd like to see that there
is no symmetry-bug related to the RLOs.

c) I'd also would reconfirm, that after an scf calculation with SO but
WITHOUT RLO, and just doing the bandstructure with and without RLO
(non-selfconsistent) one gets more or less the same change (or is it an
scf-effect ?). In addition, is the sum of eigenvalues (case.scf2) after
lapw2 lower with RLO (check of variational principle).

In any case, looks interesting ....

What says experiment ???