[Wien] Energy convergence with spin-orbit

Islam, Md F islamm at uta.edu
Fri Feb 12 16:03:58 CET 2016

Hi Prof. Marks,

    Thanks for your comments. The calculation is with single impurity, so there is no issue with FM or AFM alignment.
I also chose the magnetization such that symmetry is not broken for in-plane or out-of-plane orientation. This particular
calculation is done with Fe impurity but I have done the same set of calculations with Mn impurity on the same surface
(Bi2Se3) without any problem. I agree that it doesn't guarantee a solution for all calculations but I just wanted to make
sure I have explored all possibilities before give up on it. Here are some energies around which SCF is oscillating.

:ENE  : ********** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =     -2381169.79554107
:ENE  : ********** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =     -2381169.79537485
:ENE  : ********** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =     -2381169.79534902

:ENE  : ********** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =     -2381169.79494494
:ENE  : ********** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =     -2381169.79504374
:ENE  : ********** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =     -2381169.79510509

:ENE  : ********** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =     -2381169.79523383
:ENE  : ********** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =     -2381169.79548735
:ENE  : ********** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =     -2381169.79554582

This is going on for several weeks, so it doesn't look like converging slowly.

Thanks,
Fhokrul