[Wien] generating spinel structure

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sun Feb 14 22:21:08 CET 2016

Short answer: WIEN2k cannot do calculations on structures containing
atoms in the same position (i.e., having partial occupancy).  This has
been mentioned before in the mailing list [1-3].

[1] http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2004-May/002538.html
[2]
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg05007.html
[3]
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg00226.html

Long answer: Usually, the workaround is to use supercells and average
the different configurations [2].  For your NiCo2O4 structure, I believe
you need to create and use supercells (F lattice) similar to Co2MnO4
(refer to [4]).  Of note, the normal spinel structure is specified using
positions in the origin 2 setting [5].  So you likely have to specify
the atomic positions that you use based on that setting for the spinel
configurations that you use for your supercells.

[4] http://zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/pipermail/wien/2009-April/012454.html
[5]
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg08164.html