[Wien] Weird wannier functions coming out from wien2wannier

Pablo Villar Arribi pablo.villar at esrf.fr
Mon Feb 15 17:17:58 CET 2016

Dear Wien2k/Wien2wannier users,

I am trying to plot (with XCrysDen) the Wannier projections of the Fe-d
orbitals in some iron-based superconductors with Wien2wannier, but the
resulting orbitals do not resemble at all the typical d-like shape that
one should expect for them, however the agreement with the DFT bands is
perfect.

The spreads of the wannier orbitals are very reasonable compared with
what can be found in the literature, all the hoppings in the real-space
hamiltonian coming out of Wannier90 are real and the centers are exactly
located in the Fe atoms. I have also tried exactly the same procedure
with Quantum Espresso and I was able to obtain very d-shaped orbitals,
almost identical in the case of the dz2 and a bit distorted towards the
ligands in the case of the dxz and dyz (as it should be in these
compounds), with almost indentical spreads and centers, and both band
structures coming out of the Wannier projection fit perfectly one on top
of each other. In addition, I have been able to set a proper mesh with
"write_inwplot.x" and I have checked visually that they are located in
the Fe atoms (but with the weird shape I mentioned before).

Any ideas on why this different behaviour between Wien2k and Quantum
Espresso? Could it be due to the intrinsic diferences between an
all-electron code and a pseudopotential code in terms of their Bloch
states, which are used as a starting point for Wannier90?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.

Pablo