[Wien] Initialization with spin-orbit

Islam, Md F islamm at uta.edu
Tue Jan 26 15:21:17 CET 2016

Dear Wien2k users,

     I am having trouble with initializing a job with initso. I am doing a substitutional magnetic impurity
calculation in a surface supercell (only 2 symmetry operations). After I relaxed the surface, I did an SCF
calculation (more accurate) without spin-orbit which is converged well. But when I tried to do initialization
with spin-orbit using initso, it gives following error message:

forrtl: severe (64): input conversion error, unit 21, file /lunarc/nobackup/users/eishfh/WIEN2k/Bi2Se3/1Fe/1Fe/1Fe.struct_so
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source
symmetso           00000000004B949A  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
symmetso           00000000004B7F96  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
symmetso           000000000048C400  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
symmetso           000000000047B1EF  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
symmetso           000000000047A6F7  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
symmetso           00000000004418E2  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
symmetso           000000000041BFCF  rewr_                      23  rewr.f
symmetso           000000000040627F  MAIN__                    321  symmetso.f
symmetso           000000000040374C  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
libc.so.6          00000030CEE1ED5D  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
symmetso           0000000000403649  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
17.098u 57.124s 1:20.55 92.1%	0+0k 80+728808io 2pf+0w
error: command   /lunarc/nobackup/users/eishfh/SRC/Wien2k14.2-mpi/symmetso symmetso.def   failed
 A new structure for SO calculations has been created (_so).
 If you commit it will create new  1Fe.struct, in1(c), in2c, inc,
 clmsum/up/dn, vspup/dn and vnsup/dn files. (Please SAVE any previous
 calculations)

If I use the unrelaxed structure file, then initso does not give any error. So I suppose this error I am getting
is related to the coordinates in the structure file of the relaxed geometry but I don't see anything wrong
with the relaxed structure (after all, it works without spin-orbit). Could anyone suggests me how to fix the
problem.

On a related note, I have couple of questions:

1. Is it ok to initialize the job using initso with unrelaxed structure but after initialization, replace it by relaxed
    structure file and run the job?

2. For spin polarized calculations, spin-orbit may reduce the symmetry depending on the choice of magnetization
    direction. According to user guide, initso picks up correct symmetry for such cases. But if the system does not
    have any symmetry to begin with, then is it ok to initialize the structure treating as non-magnetic case?

Thanks,

Fhokrul