[Wien] Comparison between ab inito calculation and "measurement" result

Tomas Kana kana at seznam.cz
Fri Jan 29 12:01:06 CET 2016

Dear Seongjae,

 In addition to what Martin has written, I would like to point out that the
difference between

the description of a crystal at 0 Kelvin and the same crystal at a room
temperature

of 300 K corresponds to the difference between two

approximations in solid state physics (see e.g. the textbook

Neil Ashcroft and N. David Mermin, Solid State Physics):

For 0 K you use the static lattice approximation,

for 300 K you use the dynamic lattice approximation - it means include
phonons

(that can be regarded as quantum units of lattice vibrations, summing them
up you

get the whole vibration of your crystal).

Treating temperature dependent parameters (such as heat capacity) one
usually

starts with the static lattice approximation and computing the ground state
of

a sufficiently large supercell (using for example the code Wien2k) and

from there you get the second derivatives (Hessian) of the interatomic
potentials

needed to construct the equations valid for the phonons (the dynamic
matrix).

In real life this means that after finishing the calculations in Wien2k

(using the static lattice approximation) you continue with a code like is
for example

PHONON by the group of prof. Krystof Parlinski and calculate the quantities
you

like to know.

(see http://www.computingformaterials.com/index.html and others, see

http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/unsupported/ after the item Phonon).

Best regards

Tomas

"

Dear group,

As an engineering researcher with great lack in understanding the ab initio
calculations,

I have basically believed that the first-principle calculation results
demonatrate rather

"ideal" values presumably obtained at "0 K" and they need to be adjusted by
proper mathematical

models formulated as a function of temperature for reachiing the more
practical values at non-0 K values.

However, in many pieces of literature, they are trying to compare the ab
initio calculation

results and the measurement results at non-0 K, particularly at room
temperature.

I'm wondering what sort of foundation is required for believing that the
simulation results

can be treated as those obtained at 300 K. In other words, what models or
equations can be

adopted for taking the exact band structures and related parameters (Eg,
effective mass, etc.)

in hand in performing the first-principle simulations?

It will be appreciated if you fix my fault and share some wisdom. Many
thanks.

- Sincerely, Seongjae.

tuwien.ac.at/index.html"