[Wien] force difference between LAPW and PAW method

Pavel Ondračka pavel.ondracka at email.cz
Fri Jan 29 12:04:37 CET 2016

Peter Blaha píše v Pá 29. 01. 2016 v 11:43 +0100:
> This looks fairly large.
>
> I do NOT understand your statement of using "the same RKMAX" ???
> PAW does not have RKMAX and their KMAX has NOTHING to do with ours.
> What was your RKMAX and what are youre sphere sizes ???

Sorry, the right word should probably be "equivalent RKMAX". As
mentioned in the original email, the RKMAX was calculated from cutoff
in EV using the scheme from userguide (sqrt(cutoff in Ryd) * size of
smallest sphere). Specific values differed between cells, smallest
spheres were around 1.5 and the RKMAX was around 8.0 (PAW cutoff of
400eV).

> k-mesh: not only the grid is important ! As far as I know, VASP
> usually
> uses a "huge" temperature broadening. What FERMI-method are you using
> ?

default

> spin-polarization ??

no

> Is the PAW done with VASP and a fairly new release (accurate PAW
> potentials ?)

It was VASP and it was one of the latest versions. Will check for
specifics.