[Wien] constrain some atoms to minimize the forces

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Jul 14 15:13:56 CEST 2016

Dear Stefan,

You will in fact gain very little by artificially constraining the center.

Let me expand upon my first response, with a simplified "toy-model" explanation.

Suppose we transform the complex Pt (111) problem "somehow" to a
simpler one by a transformation of the positions such that the energy
is now a simple quadratic E= E_0 + a*p + b*p*p along some direction p
which is a combination of movements of all the atoms. In such a case
it would take at most to optimization cycles to move to the minimum.
The transformation has reduced the problem to having only one
eigenvalue.

Now suppose that instead of one p, there were two eigenvectors -- it
would take twice as long if their eigenvalues were very different, but
about the same time if they were similar.

Extending this to the general case gives the result I mentioned.
Furthermore if you apply the same thinking to the electronic problem
you will see that convergence of the SCF iterations (with fixed atoms)
does not scale as the number of density variables. If it did DFT would
be useless! In most cases there are only a smaller number of
eigenvectors of the electronic problem tmuch less than the number of
density variables, often only 10-30. Some cases such a systems with d
or f electrons have more eigenvectors so are harder to converge, and
they may also have soft modes.

Does fixing the center of a slab reduce the number of eigenvectors? It
is not obvious to me that it does.

I would prefer to not fix the center. If the atoms move far from flat
that will tell me that the slab is too thin. Fixing the center does
not make the slab thicker.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
"Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what